Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Session Recap: #1 - Don't Get Arrested

Small Caveat: This is a 5e game. I find it hard to say no when group inertia claims a system. This game will run for 8 sessions - so I’m going to experiment and try new things.  Feel free to suggest concepts to try in RPG’s and I’ll see what I can do.  I still run the game very much like an OSR session, and I do not feel beholden to anything WOTC has said or done.  With that being said, on with the blog.

Session 1: Don't Get Arrested 1/30/2022

Session Summary: The party started in jail where a benefactor paid for their release. Some were arrested on false charges. Others . . . . Regardless, they are free. The benefactor requested they investigate an inn and deprive the tavern owners of a weapon smuggled into the city. The party split up, trying to gather information and pursue their own goals. Finally, they all met up at the inn, raided the basement and through usage of the city guards, had the cult arrested. The party ended the session acquiring a vorpal jewel and the deed to the Yellow Key Tavern.


Things That Went Well: Rewards. I used Matt Colville’s reward cards for the first time and it was a big success. Writing down - if this, then this - is particularly helpful for encouraging the kinds of behavior you want to see. DM’ing for some chaotic teens, I wanted to start the game off with a stable first session - so the “benefactor” tasked them with not getting rearrested. The card read: if you are not arrested for 24hrs / Reward: 1 level up. Boom.  The players carefully made decisions based on that.  I gave other rewards, many of which incentivized chaotic play.  This caused some tension — which is good. I want players to vocalize which goals are more important to them.  I think this is a better version of milestone which 5e DM's should absolutely check out (see my blog on Making Experience Work for You).  

Things to Improve On: 5e combat for 6 players.  I just cannot feel motivated to make a fight interesting, especially when my sessions are only 2 hours. The players fought some ghosts, but the combat felt drab for me and I did not feel like it added anything to the game. This may be a reoccuring problem for me — so it is something I am hoping to work on once the party hits level 3.  DM's should keep session time in mind when designing and planning their games.  With only two hours to play, the game will lose any momentum if a combat takes 45 minutes.  

Inspiration: Woodfall; Blades in the Dark; The King in Yellow

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Goal Progress

 It has been 9 days and I'm already posting an update!  Played ttrpgs: 2/24  Worlds Without Number* Mythic Bastionland^ Fox Curios: Floa...