Thursday, December 23, 2021

Index Card Maps

I am not very creative.  A lot of my solutions involve seeing what other people do, and constantly trying new stuff.  If it doesn't work - no stress - just try something else. 

I do have an amazing strategy on how to design maps with index cards.  I wish I could attribute this to someone, as I cannot imagine I am the first to do this - but hopefully I'll at least be the first to suggest it to you!

Here is a tavern:



Then you can place a die, maker, or minis for each player in that card to show - you are here.  It is easy to expand with additional cards if they head in a direction or split up.  I think the cards encourage splitting the party in towns - which I love.  I actively suggest each PC go where they want to in town and say "hey this is an option."  It is important not to punish this split - but that's another blog topic I want to do.

Index card maps allow for a ton of flexibility if players go in a direction not immediately planned because it doesn't reveal you didn't consider the player's path.  This increases immersion to me.  It also harkens back to old rogue-likes or CRPGs! It can be done beyond just towns

Oh and it is substantially less to bring to a table if you're traveling to a game store or player's house.

Try it out sometime!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Goal Progress

 It has been 9 days and I'm already posting an update!  Played ttrpgs: 2/24  Worlds Without Number* Mythic Bastionland^ Fox Curios: Floa...